By Lindsey Feiner, co-chair, Greening Committee
The greening committee has continued with the utility-box wrap project this winter and spring, gathering many images created by artists in the neighborhood.
• Minnehaha Pkwy. & Cedar, NW corner
• 46th St. & Park Ave,. NW corner
• 46th St. & 4th Ave., NW cornerPhase 2 – Due to be completed
• Minnehaha Pkwy. & Chicago, SW corner
• Minnehaha Pkwy. & Portland, SE corner
• 48th St. & Chicago
• 46th St. & Chicago Ave., NE corner
• Minnehaha Pkwy. & Bloomington, NE
Phase 3 – Due to be completed
• 46th St. & Portland Ave., NW corner
• 42nd St. & Park Ave., NE corner
• 42nd St. & Portland Ave., SE corner
• 47th St. & Portland Ave., NE corner
The project has been moving forward in phases. The first three boxes were completed in fall 2015, and the second phase will begin in spring 2016. Five boxes wrapped in mainly nature-themed art should be completed in June and July of 2016. This art consists of mainly of photography and painting.
In fall 2016, the project will conclude with four boxes on Portland and Park Avenues. The theme for these boxes will be the diversity, history, and people of FRN. We are still accepting artwork that fits into this theme.
By the time you see the artwork on the utility boxes along the parkway and Chicago Avenue, it will have been through two city committee reviews! The application process started in April with determining box eligibility (only certain utility boxes can be wrapped). That step was followed by the review of the artwork by the Public Art Advisory Panel and the Arts Commission. Once those entities sign off, the greening committee applies for an encroachment permit for each box and a local vendor wraps the boxes.
Any local artists interested in learning more about our utility-wrap project for the fall 2016 phase can apply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us about your artwork and how it relates to the themes of diversity, history, and the people of our neighborhood. Artists will be compensated with a small stipend.